At Maritime Pilots Institute, pilots benefit from the breadth and depth of a diverse array of training experiences. Our Covington facility hosts our state-of-the-art simulator and RADAR lab, while our Bush site gives students hands-on practice with our unique manned model program.
Real Piloting—Just Smaller.
MPI's 3.5-acre training pond in Bush, Louisiana lets pilots hone their skills on a series of adjustable waterways to simulate docking, currents, wind, and weather. Our fleet of 1:25 scale manned models act realistically, creating a real world training experience.
Since ships behave differently at varying depths, we provide a controlled environment to replicate diverse waterway configurations. In addition, our manned model pond offers pilots a chance to train for complex maneuvers in a safe and controlled environment.
Immersive, State-of-the-Art Simulation
MPI's state-of-the-art Kongsberg simulator offers our students unparalleled access to immersive ship handling scenarios, offering:
- Realistic vessel behavior
- Wrap-around, high-vertical field of view
- Technically accurate recreations of real world geography
- Lightning-fast load times
- Smooth visualization of highly-customizable nautical scenes
- A wide library of ships, including tankers, containerships, cruise vessels, supply vessels, tow vessels and azimuth stern drive (ASD) tugs
- Render/recover winch controls, RADAR/ARPA/ECDIS/AIS, pilot plug and monitoring equipment for ship’s sensors plug-and-play adaptability for Pilot laptop navigation systems (PPU)
Kongsberg Ship SimulatorMore
Quicker Docking. Faster Learning.
Due to their smaller scale, MPI's manned models dock five times quicker than their full-scale counterparts, allowing students to practice more quickly and effectively. And with meaningful, real-world forces and consequences, pilots are better prepared for real-world scenarios.